Thursday, February 9, 2012

God's Love is a Promise to Us

“No power on earth or heaven can separate us from God’s love. Not our sin, not any authority” Romans 8:38-39

A dear friend recently invited me to her son and daughter-in-law’s baby shower. There was a table set up with materials to make up a scrapbook and a note card to write down advice for the ‘parents to be’ which would be put in a booklet for them to refer to in the years to come.

I ended up taking my card home to think about before I attempted to write my advice down. The card laid on my bathroom counter in the hopes that it would prompt me to write down my words of advice, but I kept delaying the process.

There have been moments in my walk with our prodigal that I felt I was the last one anyone would want to ask for childrearing ideas. How about you, know what I mean?

One day, out of the blue, I decided to pick up that card and I wrote the following:

“As much as you love that precious baby right now, there may come a time you may not feel like loving her. Choose to love her anyway, unconditionally, just as our Lord loves us.”

If you are receiving this newsletter then it is conceivable that you understand what I said and why. There have been moments we didn’t feel like loving our child, our husband, our grandchild, or our wife. We may grieve over the choices our loved ones have made, but we have the choice of continuing to show them the same unconditional love God demonstrates toward us day after day. Nothing, not even our sin and rebellion, can separate us from His love.

Each time I attend a wedding and hear the vows taken, I think how most brides and grooms haven’t a clue what they are committing to. You never dreamed those vows you took to love, honor, and cherish whether in sickness or in good health, rich or poor might just be tested one day.

When we bring that child into the world we are taking the same vow to love, cherish, and take care of that one entrusted to us before releasing them into the Heavenly Father’s care. Some of you are at the point that you have had to release them due to continued bad choices, but continue to love and pray them home to their Father. It might have to be tough love but love them never the less.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post on making choices...We do all have choices and God wants us to love others as He loves us...unconditionally....It's very hard sometimes but He's always available with the help we need......

    ReplyDelete