Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 150

Happy Father's Day

“As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him.....” Psalm 103:13.

As a father you may face a different set of circumstances than you ever thought possible this Father's Day. You may find yourself traveling to visit your son or daughter behind bars or you may have no idea where they are, or they may be estranged from you. Our family found ourselves on many special occasions in this dilemma.

After my husband's months of recuperation from a paralyzing illness we decided to visit our son in prison on the following Father's Day. I remember lots of tears being shed by us all as we sat across that cold metal table and tried to make sense of the horrible situation. Never did we dream this special day would be spent behind bars with a room full of other inmates and their families.

Many psychologist's believe that losing a child to the world is just as painful as losing them to death. You may have lost your child to drugs, alcohol, or some other unimaginable tragedy. Hopefully you can rest in the fact that they are at peace with the Lord. Neither the one walking with a prodigal for years nor the parent who has lost their child to addiction in death can wrap their minds around either journey nor oftentimes why they have to walk it. There is no denying that it is a pain that no one can understand unless they experience it.

The empty seat beside you at church, at a movie, at the dinner table, on vacation is a void in your heart. They will always remain on your mind even if others don't talk about it or acknowledge their absence.

I pray you will be able to have contact in one way or another on this special day. May the Lord enable you to love your prodigal unconditionally whether at home or away in the pig pen. May He give you strength and hope for each new day. May He bring your prodigal home and when He does, may you be able to accept him/her as they are on their return. The Prodigal Father asked no questions he just ran to greet the lost one, falling on him with spontaneous forgiveness and love.

I know so many times I have fallen away from my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I praise Him that I have learned that it never changes His love for me. He is always waiting to embrace me when I finally come to my senses. Lord help us to love like You do and give this reader peace that You are in control of their situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment