Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Visit to the Youth Detention Center

A couple of friends had been going to our local youth detention center and I told them that I wanted to go sometime. They went today and had invited me, but it was to be at 3:00 and I was working till 5:00. I told them that if I was to go God would have to orchastrate it cause I couldn't get off otherwise. They were taking mother's who had either been incarcerated or had had children incarcerated. Well, as only He can do I got off just in time to make my way down to the center. Isn't He amazing.
So I figured ok Lord you wanted me to go now give me something to say that will touch the heart of these kids.
As they filed in I began to watch them and their demeanor. Some had those inquizitive looks, some horsing around, but the ones who got my attention were the ones who look as if they had NO life in their eyes, no hope of change, no hope of a future, and no love in their hearts. Those are the faces that will haunt me. I wish I had had more time with them. Lord use the hour we had with them to make a difference in their lives. I pray they will hear the voices of each mother as they go back to their homes. Some gave testimony that Mom was in jail, they didn't know Mom or Dad. Man, how would that feel? Some go back into the same environments and they recyle around and around. One boy had come in NINE times!
They shared their hopes and dreams of being an electrical engineer, a football player, or a basketball player. What happens when they go back into an environment where they have no demonstration of love? Please pray for these young men.
Sandra

1 comment:

  1. Sandra, It's amazing (to us) what God will do when He wants us in a certain place....
    Sounds like your trip was a heart wrentching experience...there's nothing worse than to look in someone's eyes and see no hope especially a young person....I will be lifting these kids up in prayer....
    Hugs and Blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete