Friday, July 29, 2011

Waiting on God

Each time I meet with mother's of prodigal's I am surprised by the emotions it brings up in me. I cry right along with them. I remember the pain and agony so vividly. I hurt for them. I cannot fix it for them any more than I could fix my own situation. They have to go through and learn for themselves what God is saying to them through all the day in day out struggle to keep their head above water.
Hopefully my sharing how God worked in my situation brought them encouragement. I was evidence that you can make it through. I remember the Psalm 69 passage that so often spoke of my own feelings: "Save me, O God, for the waters have threatened my life. I have sunk in deep mire, and there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and a flood overflows me, I am weary with crying; my throat is parched; My eyes fail while I wait, for my God".
Waiting for God is so hard, but I had a perfect example recently about the benefits of waiting. I had gone to a neighborhood yard sale which has been on going because they are moving. I saw a chest of drawers there that my granddaughters needed. The one they have is falling apart. They were asking $100.00 for it. It was well built by Stanley even though it was old. I mulled over it, came home and talked to my husband about it and then really forgot about it.
As I was driving in the neighborhood yesterday I again saw a sign that they were continuing the sale. I decided to go by today, as it was on my path of walking. I was surprised that first of all they still had it (I first saw it 2 weeks ago) and then that they had marked it down to $75.00. I still mulled over it and started to walk away when the lady said, "I will take $50.00 for it if that helps you decide. See $50.00 was the price I had in mind all along but I am not good at dickering. I said, "Sold". I'd say God worked in that! He knew the need and she was happy to sell it and I was happy to take it to my little granddaughter's!
It took patience. I could have jumped at it the first day and paid twice as much for it. Course it could have been gone, as it often happens, but it was intended for me.
We don't like to wait but God is working all along. If the chest had been gone I had already determined that it was not meant for me, but God gave me favor once again. It will provide a need for many years to come. And guess what, a man was there at the sale and helped my husband load it. I saw God all over that adventure.
Praise Him I have also been able to see God's hand in the life of our family also. I have not always waited patiently, but He has taught me more and more to lean on Him and wait for Him to work. I always tried to help Him, but He is teaching me more and more to let go and let Him do the work that needs to be done. I always mess it up anyway.
I pray for these mother's and feel a special bond with them already. I will WAIT to see how God works in their lives and the lives of their prodigals. I can't fix it for them as much as I want to, but I know the One who can. He will walk with them the way He did with me. As I told them and I will share with you as you read this: "You will live through it, even though it does not feel like it right now". The waters will not overtake you. God will hold you up with His righteous right hand! He loves you so much and He loves your child way more than you do. He wants them to get it too. He will arrange the circumstances that will eventually help them see but it might be a hard road to get there for all of you. Hold on with all your might through prayer, support from others, and persevere to the end. You can do it, you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment