Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Divine Appointment

After 12 days off from work, today was my first day back at work. I had decided to praise the Lord for my job and not dread going in. I know God has me there for His purposes so I need to rest in that. Some days it is hard! The day was going well. After lunch I had a patient who had lost her sister a month ago to cancer and been through a health issue with her Dad, having to put him in a health facility in Flordia the first of the year.
She had been having pain for a few years in her side and the Dr. had told her that it was arthritis. After the ordeal with her sister, she decided to suggest to her Dr. that he follow up on this pain. After tests revealing she had a mass in her side she was facing major surgery herself.
As she shared I immediately realized that God had brought her to me and we were able to share about God's faithfulness and I shared several scriptures that had gotten me through some very trying times in my life. She cried, releasing the hurt and pain she was trying so hard to hold in. Tears are release valves you know.
The Lord protected our time together and I really believe she felt calmer and less anxious as we parted. That is what my job is all about, right? Reassurance and comfort at a high stress time in someone else's life. God calls us to be comforters. I shared at a speaking engagement last month that I had read a saying, "God comforts us not to make us comfortable, but to make us comforters!"
I am so grateful that God gave me the opportunity to share with this lady and I pray that she will rest better tonight than she might have before we talked. These are the times I love being a nurse. This is what good well-rounded health care should look like. Treating the patient like a person instead of a number. Sure is the way I would like to be treated, how about you.
Thank you Lord for the reminder of why I go to work each day. Thank you for each opportunity you give me. Help me to always be tuned to what is below the surface and minister when it is needed. That is part of the healing process.

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment