Tuesday, March 30, 2010

God-talk without God-acts

"Dear friends, do you think you'll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, "Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!" and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup----where does that get you? Isn't it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?" James 2:14-17 The Message.
I read this passage on Saturday morning as I sat at Starbucks eating breakfast and having a cup of coffee. I was headed to our office for our workday. I also read James 2, "If a man enters your church wearing an expensive suit, and a street person wearing rags comes in right after him, and you say to the man in the suit, "Sit here, sir, this is the best seat in the house!" and either ignore the street person or say, "Better sit here in the back row," haven't you segregated God's children and proved that you are judges who can't be trusted? Listen, dear friends. Isn't it clear by now that God operates quite differently? He chose the world's down-and-out as the kingdom's first citizens, with full rights and priveleges."
Well as soon as I drove up to our office and got out of the car I was put to the test! What do you think came to mind....the above passage. It was like God was saying okay Sandra what are you going to do...go in and avoid this street person who is asking for something to eat or but your God-talk into God-action.
I don't even think this lady was telling me the whole truth but you know what, that didn't matter. She was hungry so we walked to the corner diner and she got her food. Guess what, as I offered to pay the owner waved me on....I believe she had been in before and he knew the situation. God Bless his soul he provided the food.
Now this was a true example of God preparing me for what I was about to face that day. He is so into us isn't He. He gives us opportunities to put our faith into action. I love His word and I pray you do too!
As I walked back to the office I then had two of our support group attendees come in to help us move a cabinet in, clean the office, the outside windows,put together a shelf, and sort clothes. Quite a profitable day.
Two ladies also put scripture verses on candy bars to be distributed at the coming Hope on the Inside event. The inmates will recieve a goodie bag with several items in it. Thank you Lord for allowing us to be involved in some same way.

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment