Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Day 35



Laying your Isaac Down

Genesis 22:12 (MSG)

12 “Don’t lay a hand on that boy! Don’t touch him! Now I know how fearlessly you fear God; you didn’t hesitate to place your son, your dear son, on the altar for me.”


Most of us are familiar with the story of Abraham and Isaac.  God told Abraham to go up on the mountain and sacrifice Isaac on the altar.  He took Isaac to a place of physical death in order to free Abraham of son-worship.  God calls us to lay our Isaacs down, to let them go, not to walk their journey alone but to find rest and safety in Christ.  As we release them into His care, it frees us to trust Him to care for both of our needs.



As Abraham lifted his hand to bring the knife down to Isaac, God called from heaven… “Abraham! Abraham! Do not lay a hand on the boy.  Do not do anything to him for now I know you fear ME!”



The thing that struck me as I read the passage was that you can’t hold on to God’s hand if you are holding on to anything or anyone else.  Examine your heart today.  Are you holding on to a loved one, a thing?  Is God testing your heart today?  Have you truly let go? God said to Abraham, now I know I am your priority.  You were willing to give me your one and only son.  Now I can work.



If you haven’t laid down your Isaac it might be time.  When you release your grip then God can work.  There may be difficult days ahead but as God works His plan our Isaacs will begin to take form.  On top of that we might just find His plan for ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment