Friday, February 20, 2015

Day 51



Choosing a Spiritual Mentor

For several years, I have had a picture on the end table with this Bible verse on it: “I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.” 3 John 1:4 NASB

This year has been a fulfillment of seeing both our children desiring a deeper walk in the truth of God’s Word for their lives. One has come a far distance from a far country. One has stayed close to home but the desire to draw nearer in her relationship with the Lord, is no less sweet. Our son had a deep personal experience with the Lord recently, surrendering to Him and His purpose for his life. Afterwards, he asked me to give him a daily Bible verse. We have had many opportunities for discussion and sharing because of his new found openness to the Word.

Our daughter recently asked me if I would be her spiritual mentor. What a privilege it was to be asked to fill such an important role. For several years, I have been blessed by my own spiritual mentor… most often I call her my Spiritual Mother. I have been strengthened and encouraged beyond measure just knowing she is praying and seeking God’s Word for me.
 
What is a mentor? Funk and Wagner’s states: “A wise and trusted teacher, guide, friend, an elderly mentor or adviser.” Sometimes I question my wisdom; but the elderly part sure fits the bill! As we age, we sometimes come to the false conclusion that we are not valuable. Let’s face it, sometimes the worldly realm forces that concept but age is often a qualification for being a wise mentor yet not all elderly are wise.

Several years ago, a friend gave me a handkerchief with the word Mother on it. In her card, she stated that she was looking for just the right thing to send with me on an upcoming mission trip and was led to this handkerchief. She said, “but Lord it says Mother on it.” She wrote: “I said “now what Lord?” And He said, “she is your mother… your Spiritual Mother.” I have carried that card and hanky in my Bible since 2003 as a reminder that God has entrusted me with a grave responsibility as I mentor each spiritual child He sends my way.

Who has God placed in your sphere of influence to either be a mentor to or to mentor you? Your choice of a mentor is critical, chose wisely.

Ruth 1:16King James Version (KJV)

16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

You never know when you may be having an impact on someone with whom God has connected you. He may use you to be a mentor to a younger woman either in age or spiritual maturity. It is an awesome responsibility as we show by example what an intimate walk with the Lord can be.
God wants to mentor you and guide you as you submit to Him by His indwelling Spirit but it can be prudent to have a human mentor to guide you also.
When choosing a mentor, follow these guidelines:

Choose someone you have observed for a period of time on their journey with the Lord. Do they practice Godly principles?
Do they wholeheartedly love the Word and direct you to it. His Word is life to us. We don’t need someone else’s opinion but rather a Word from God.
Do they daily display the fruit of the spirit as much as is humanly possible?
Do they have joy in their hearts despite their circumstances?
Do they love unconditionally and listen to you without judgment?

Do they set aside personal time to retreat with the Lord and hear from Him on a regular basis?

Have you observed their prayer life and believe they will remain faithful in their prayers for you?

Are they seeking the mind of Christ through personal Bible study and personal growth?

Are you strengthened and uplifted in your spirit by their spirit as it is nurtured and guided by the Holy Spirit and God’s Word?

Does their passion for the Lord ignite in you a hunger and thirst for God and the things of God?

Pray for those you mentor today. If you need a mentor ask God to show you that perfect person for you. I am so grateful for the Spiritual Mother God brought to me years ago. To know she is praying for me is in itself empowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment