Thursday, March 12, 2015

Day 68

Iron Sharpens Iron
Iron sharpenth iron; so a man sharpenth the countenance of his friend" Proverbs 27:17.
Friends, what would we do without them? Friends walk with us in the good, the bad, and the ugly. They see us at our best, but also at our worse. They know things about us others don't. Hopefully they hold us accountable when they see something in our Christian walk that shouldn't be there.
Is that your longing, to have friends who sharpen you, who try to steer you back on the straight path when you waver?
There have been times when I sensed God would have me speak to a fellow Christian who was allowing sin to damage their testimony. I remember crying as I confronted a friend over her lifestyle. It was a very hard thing to do but God did not give me peace until it was accomplished. What she chose to do was a decision she would have to make but afterwards I was able to have peace.
The tables have often been turned as a friend confronted me with the evil in my heart. I can't say I was always happy to be corrected, but hopefully as I reflected it became a wake up call that impacted me positively.
I am grateful for friends who challenge me in my walk with Christ. Maybe they see a situation with which I am dealing with a keener eye, maybe their insight will help me see clearer, maybe their prayers with and for me will change my perspective.
If you don't have friends who sharpen you why not pray for that kind of relationship right now. Choose someone who is walking closely to the Lord, then be open to their wise counsel. Don't choose friends who will just tell you what you want to hear, choose someone who will hold you accountable and vice versa.
I like the way the Living Bible writes the key passage: "A friendly discussion is as stimulating as the sparks that fly when iron strikes iron". I am so grateful for my friends even when the sparks seem to fly as iron strikes iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment